Monday, May 6, 2013

Gavino's (Bearden)


Tonight we began our project to find Knoxville's best pizza. We started with a fairly new place in town: Gavino's in Bearden. The restaurant is small, basic and open with flat screens and a small bar area. Here is our take:



Bethany

Crust: 4
I liked that it was very thin with good crispiness. Firm enough to hold without flopping all over the place. It could possibly use a hint more flavor.

Sauce: 3.5 
Good proportion and seasoning. Had a hint of something I couldn't put my finger on that tasted a little plasticky.

Toppings (Bacon and Cheese): 3
Good proportions again, cheese was satisfactory. Bacon basic.

Overall taste experience: 3.5

Overall restaurant experience: 2
This is a new restaurant and I think it hasn't discovered it's personality yet. It had little ambience and was overall non-descript and forgettable.



Kevin

Crust: 3
Slightly overcooked, and not a whole lot of flavor. The restaurant has a thicker pan type of pizza (the Sicilian) that I probably would like better. Not their fault I got a pizza type to bless my wife.

Sauce: 3
Delicious saltier, but subtle taste. I prefer tangy or sweeter sauces, but this one was good.

Toppings (Grilled Chicken, Cheese): 2
The chicken cost more than the other toppings and was in small cubes. I'm not sure I really ever tasted it over the cheese, which was delicious.

Overall Taste Experience: 3
Three means average, and that's how I would categorize this pizza. Good, but not above or beyond what I could get many other places.

Overall Restaurant Experience: 2
See Bethany's above.

Since this wasn't our usual date night, we had our little sidekick. After he threw all his food and toys on the floor, he got bored. Andrew spit each bite of the pizza out after sucking off the sauce, so he gives the sauce a 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment